Sunday, June 03, 2007

A-ROD DOES IT AGAIN!
Although I never played baseball, I would consider myself a long-time Yankees/baseball fan. As such, I am very confused by all the discussion over Alex Rodriguez' making a comment to an opposing fielder as he ran by. "Broke the unwritten code". Yet if he had slid into that fielder spikes-first to avoid being tagged out, thus causing a career-ending injury, that would be perfectly acceptable to all. Give me a break! I have seen runners go 10 feet out of the base path to slide into a fielder. Or run into a catcher at home plate to jar the ball loose. No problem with that? And it is perfectly acceptable for a pitcher to aim a 100 mph ball at a player's head. Does it break the unwritten code if he doesn't say "Sorry"? And what about all the comments and shouts from players in the dugout? Is this acceptable? What about a shout from a fan on the thirdbase side? Unacceptable? I have no love for Alex, I think he is overpaid and overpublicized, but if anyone other than A-Rod had done this, it would have been shrugged off. Just A-Rod being A-Rod (for the Boston fans). I think a fielder needs to pay attention to where he is and who is near him, and not blame an opponent for his errors.

2 comments:

TeamRoslin said...

You've got a very good point, but I still hate A-Rod.

And I'm not even a Sox fan!

deerjohn said...

Hate that word "Hate". I did note that Joe Morgan agreed with me on ESPN's broadcast last nite, though they spent waaaaaaaaaay to much time discussing the incident. It would not have been a big issue if the media had not made it a big issue.